Sunday, 20 September 2009

Match v Briton Ferry

We welcomed Briton Ferry to Bishopston on Sunday 20th September. With Penclawdd dropping out during the week, it meant only half the squad played with the rest going over to Llandovery next week (subject to confirmation). With currently a lack of U10 teams in the district (no Waun, Vadre, Lougher, Tonmawr and now Penclawdd) we are going to be on the road a little more this year.

So it was excellent that BF made the trip over river to West Swansea. They also came with a strong record.

It was a very even game, with conversions introduced for the first time for Mumbles. Five volunteers put their names forward for conversions on a rotational basis. Kicking with parents and supporters only yards away must have been quite a nerve jangling experience.

The first half saw Max make two scintillating runs to score and a Rhys C interception score. Keiran converted one of these tries. BF replied with a well worked try down the left hand touchline. BF warmed to the task by the end of the first half and were held out on the Mumbles line as the whistle went for half time.

The second half was what Sean Holley might call "an arm wrestle". Spirits ran high and little quarter was given in the contact area. Eventually BF squeezed over for a try which was unconverted, leaving the scores at 17-10.

More pressure on the Mumbles line was averted. Then, from a turnover near the Mumbles try line, with good work from the forwards, Tom G threw a long pass out to Tom L who linked with Lloyd who finally popped to Rhys C to finish off in the corner. Rhys C converted.

Mumbles weathered numerous BF attacks, before with the final play of the game, BF barrelled over the line with a short charge and the score finished 24-17.

A score apart probably reflected the closeness of the game in the end.

The forwards played a vital part in rucking and mauling: Cian and Aled dogged in the middle, Rhys D making some crucial tackles in the open, Keiran and Cam strong around the fringes, with Lloyd making his characteristic forward charges.

Nathan was more half forward than half back at scrum half. Max ate up the ground going forward, Tom G, Ben and Tom L made crucial breaks and tackles, and Rhys C made some key interventions in open field.

Overall it was a fine team performance.

We would like to thank Mark and his coaching team for making the trip over and their generous praise at the end of the game. It was a very tight match and their team never gave up, driving through to last whistle.

Unfortunately, because of the Penclawdd fixture being pretty much cancelled over all the age groups, the catering facility was put on hold this week. A little embarassing for us, but we hope this will be up and running for the next game.

No comments: